Monday, December 17, 2012

Role-Playing In The Bluff

At least it isn't a Crisis Crossover...
So, I've recently become enamored with Pinnacle's Savage Worlds, a generic RPG like HERO or GURPS, yet unlike them.  I had a previous printing of the rules but I never really looked at it.  I like the fast character-creation, fast combat and just the all-around loosey-goosey feel of the game.  Unlike HERO, it's not bogged down with minutae and unlike GURPS it's not bogged down with sub-rules you trip over when you're not looking. AND the price is right: the Core Rules are $30 for the hardback BUT they also sell what they call The Explorer's Edition, which is the same book digest-sized (I love digest-sized books) for 10 BUCKS!  Also, there's a lot of campaign books out there, from Pinnacle's Super Powers/Fantasy/Horror Companion to others like Deadlands, Space 1889, original settings like 50 Fathoms, Rippers, Weird War II, third-party campaign books like Andy Hopp's Low Life, Beast and Barbarians...and that's not even counting the fan-made worlds out there.

I talked to my regular Basic D&D group and they said they'd be willing to give it a go next week.  I have a Star Wars SW supplement some fan worked up so I'll probably go with that - but if they like it, I may work in some fantasy sessions too.

Which brings us to Bluffside, The City On The Edge.  Probably one of the best books to come out of the D20 boom, this is a personal favorite and would work well with SW.  In fact, since Green Ronin put out a SW conversion of Freeport, those two would be a good match....

...and I also found a fan conversion of Eberron for SW.  Looks like I got my work cut out for me.

No comments: