Wednesday, October 12, 2011

GPS D&D-Style

I'm the Map, I'm the Map...
One of the fun things about buying used game books is the ephemera left in said books: character sheets, notes on pages and in margins, etc. It isn't often that one finds something like this, though.

I recently purchased a 1st Printing of the AD&D 2nd Edition Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide from Half Price Books here in Oklahoma ( I have the 2nd printing, but I find the 1st printing easier to read and find info in).  I checked them at the store for readability, etc., they looked fine so I got them.  Perusing the PHB at home, a map fell out.  Obviously a map of someone's campaign, it was crude but fascinating nonetheless.  It was also pretty big, too big to fit in my scanner, so I took a picture, the one you see here (Here's a link to a copy with higher resolution, so you can read the place names).

One thing I can tell is that it was probably based on the Forgotten Realms as Torm is mentioned, although I have a feeling he may have just used the pantheon from the Realms.

I love things like this.  Gives real insight to campaigns gone by, not to mention the mysteries that it leaves behind.  Names like Satan's Forge, Mariah, The Wardog Providence and the Field of Kamchak stirs my imagination (especially if it says the Field is the Old Elven Plains - I'd like to know why he put elves on the plains and what they would be like).  Where does the Upper Sea lead to?  What is the area in the upper part of the map like, with it's description of "rebels, outcasts, wild tribes, malcontents, outlaws, giants, monsters, bandits, etc?"

Now a lot (if not all) used books come with the name of the previous owner in them.  This has the name Jerry Rove.  Mr. Rove, if you're reading this, thank you.  This is a great map and I'll probably be using it for my grandson's Basic D&D campaign (I'm already thinking about making this the larger area beyond Thunder Rift).

Unless, of course, you want it back, which I would regretfully but dutifully return it (at least I got the picture - I can always recreate it).  Until then, on my wall it goes.

1 comment:

Ragnardbard said...

Found artifacts like that are priceless in my view- you're holding someone else's fond imaginary world in your hands. Lucky duck. :)