Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Short Bus to '09

Wow, 2008 is gone. Felt the breeze of that one go over my head (not having much hair up there, I feel a lot of breezes). And here it is, end of January and I'm just getting to the End of Year recap. Ahhh, I been busy (sort of). And therein lies a tale...

Not much of a tale, really. Been trying to get an audiobook read and out the door, not an easy task when you got the holidays upon you and fighting the blues. I get depressed a lot during the year, but I actively fight it during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I love that time of year too much to let me ruin it. So Get Back Satan! You ain't gonna get me down with Santa and a turkey in front of me!

Well, let's see...had the Vegas trip in March (you guys know all about that one), had to cancel SoCal with the grandson(s) due to time and money constraints, had a temp job for about four months (it was supposed to be for the Cal trip, but too many people holding out their hands) aaaand that's about it. Oh yeah, my audiobook adventures have taken a turn for the better. I got hold (via Librivox) of a chap named Simon in th UK who produces audiobooks and I did one for him (allong with some Lovecraft). It led to some folks in Canada wanting me to do a book for them, which I finished this month. It's getting my name out there and some of it might actually pay real money. Keep you posted.

Well, I don't really have a rundown of my DVD purchases this time, as the one place I was keeping my info (DVDSpot) decided to pull the plug. That still hurts; I liked that site. So, here's some highlights:

It's been a year for completing collections: Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6 finishes off that series (although WHV sez more titles will come outside that set), Got all the Walt Disney Treasures I've planned of with the release of The Chronological Donald Volume 4, Popeye the Sailor Volumes 1-3 were released, which completes the black and whites, which is as far as I'm gonna go with it (I don't like the color series), The Three Stooges Collection is up to four volumes, which pretty much covers the Curley years (next is the Shemp Era, then I stop - Besser and DeRita will not darken my video shelves). Traded in my Best of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello set for the new Abbot and Costello: the Complete Universal Collection box (and a gorgeous box it is). Finally got around to getting Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3, TCM Archives: The Buster Keaton Collection was got over the holidays, as was The Marx Brothers Collection, a nice companion to my Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection,the 50th anniversary set of Touch of Evil replaced my old copy and, oh yes, I have added a collection of the Great Man, with Universal's The W.C Fields Comedy Collection Volume 1 and 2 plus Criterion's W.C. Fields: 6 Short Films. The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration was another holiday gift and, also on the Criterion front, The Thief of Bagdad. Dark City was replaced with the Director's Cut and The Day The Earth Stood Still (the original) makes a surprising appearance in the collection.

There. Not bad, going from memory. Oh, one more thing: I'm on Facebook (under my own Name Glen Hallstrom) and Twitter (under SmokestackJones). Don't ask...

2 comments:

Just A Knit Wit said...

Hello! I just wanted to pop by your blog and say thank you for your wonderful Librivox reading of Lovecraft's The Picture in the House. Your voice for the strange old man gives me chills each time I listen to it.

Again, thank you for donating your time and your talent. It is appreciated.

Best,
Kelly

Sidney said...

I love "Touch of Evil." I need to get a DVD version. I have a VHS taped from one cable channel or another a while back.

Love the opening scene with the unstopping shot.