Tuesday, January 01, 2008

0-8-0-8-Oy

Nuthin' like the end of the year to bring me out of my cave and back into blog-land. I'm looking ahead into the new year and I see the usual: sea-poop. Yes, the future is murky but I do know that ahead are some trips to who-knows-where (hopefully one to Long Beach and one to Vegas - Becky owes me 'cuz we had to put the kibosh on Con On The Cob at the last minute), at least one more stage show and much-needed financial prosperity. Let's see what residue I left behind in '07, shall we?

The year started off with a bang by 1). not working at Renda anymore and 2). getting to play Murray in the Jewel Box Theatre production of The Odd Couple (not to mention winning a Gem award for said role). In other entertainment areas I was continuing with the karaoke including a brief stint on the other side of the mike. I signed up with a producer who hires out KJs and had a short stint (think weeks) at a local bar. That ended when the manager decided I was "too old for the crowd." I'm still with the producer and I probably should call him, but I'm not in that big of a hurry.

On the Librivox front, I managed to add Lovecraft's The Statement of Randolph Carter to the catalog. I was also contacted by a gent in the UK to do a radio drama with a couple other Librivoxers of said story. It turned out so well he asked me to do The Beast in The Cave for him, which I did. It's in editing on his end, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Also, I did a reading of A Christmas Carol for LV last year I forgot about (because I didn't get it done until February seeing as I had a cold through the holidays). Anyway, I've been getting quite a few nice emails (and a few comments here) on them. To those of you who have downloaded them from Librivox and enjoyed them, thanks. It was a pleasure to do it.

This was also the year I entered into the Wonderful (?) World of WebBlogging at YouTube. I did about a half-dozen, I'll pick out back up soon.

Later on I proved what a glutton for punishment I am by reprising a role I did at the Jewel Box in 2000. I played Jonathan Brewster in their revival production (their 50th season) of Arsenic and Old Lace. Packed houses and rave reviews with a kink in the tail when we had to cancel the final Sunday performance due to an ice storm that swept through the area (left us without Cox for four days - no internet, no phone, no cable - good thing I have a large DVD collection).

Speaking of DVDs, it's time for the Annual What I Bought Disc-Wise for 2007. ReadySetGo:

Airplane!
Animaniacs: Volume 1
Batman: The Animated Series - Volume 3
Charlotte's Web*
A Christmas Carol (Alstair Sim)
City of Lost Children*
The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection: Volume 2
The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus 16-Ton Megaset (upgrade)
Eraserhead
F For Fake: Criterion
The Fallen Idol: Criterion
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Criterion (3rd time!)
The Film Crew: Killers From Space
The Film Crew: The Giant of Marathon
Film Noir Classic Collection

Film Noir Classic Collection: Vol. 2
Film Noir Classic Collection: Vol. 3
Film Noir Classic Collection: Vol. 4
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Fox Horror Classics
Hard Boiled
Harry and The Hendersons
Help!
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)
The Invisible Man: The Legacy Collection
The Iron Giant (replacement copy)
Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie*
Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season
The King Kong Collection
Les Miserables: Cinema Classics Collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 5
Looney Tunes: Back in Action*
The Love Bug
Matt Helm Lounge
Monsters and Madmen: Criterion
Nero Wolfe: The Complete First Season
The NeverEnding Story*
Night at the Museum
Not Just The Best of The Larry Sanders Show
Peter Pan Platinum Edition (Disney)
Popeye the Sailor: 1933-1938
The Princess Bride (upgrade)
Raging Bull Special Edition
Red Green Stuffed and Mounted Six-Pack
Reservior Dogs 15th Anniversary Edition
Rio Bravo Ultimate Collector's Edition
Sin City - Recut, Extended, Unrated
Strangers on A Train Two-Disc Edition*
Superman Returns*
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
The Third Man: Criterion (upgrade)
The Three Stooges Collection: Volume One - 1934-1936
Transformers: The Movie
Transformers (Michael Bay)
The Triplets of Belville
True Grit: Special Collector's Edition
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection
Universal Horror Classic Movie Archive
Vincent Price: MGM Screen Legends Collection
Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald Volume Three
The Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection

* The result of Becky joining Columbia House

Oooo-eee. I count 62 discs and/or sets. Makes for a nice assortment along with enough noir to choke Mr. Ed.

Well, looks like my stepson and his kids are staying with us for a while. The stepson is suffering from strep and just had a fight with his live-in girlfriend and mother of his two boys, so time for them to camp out here for a while. Guess the holiday stress isn't quite over. Until next time, lemme leave you with a hint of coming attractions - Becky may get a professional "bump." Cross your fingers...

4 comments:

Prof. Gómez said...

Hi:

Just wanted to tell you that I truly enjoyed your reading of "The Statement of Randolph Carter".

I initially downloaded it from LV to listen while commuting, but the volume was too low to enjoy on the bus.

I listened it at home, while my wife and son slept.

Oh boy, was I in for a surprise. The use of the distortion for the telephone dialogue, the timing, and your acting skill sent chills up and down my spine. I had to remind myself that it was just a story.... but still...

So thank you for volunteering and bringing a bit of joy to a math teacher in Mexico City. Now I'll happily track down any other thing you might have on LV.

Yours truly

Prof. Adrián Gómez

martyn said...

hello,im martyn from leicester,england.
recently found libravox audiobooks and have just finnished your telling of a christmas carol.
having heard a previous version by another reader i found yours to be much more dramatic thanks to your excellent narration.

Nana said...

I, too, would like to say thank you for your superb reading of A Christmas Carol in LV. You have a wonderful talent and I hope you will continue to bring great pleasure to those of us who enjoy listening.
PEB

Unknown said...

Hi Smokestack,

I am a regular listener of LV offerings and I second Prof Gomez. I have listened to several of your Lovecraft readings but your version of The Statement of Randolph Carter was superlative. I think it particularly stands out because of your use of the "telephone effect", and I made it a point to have my son listen to it. You are amazingly talented. Please do keep up the good work at LV. It is much appreciated, especially by folks like me who are struggling with deteriorating eyesight. I will make it a point to track down your "A Christmas Carol". Best wishes from India. - Sosha