Saturday, March 10, 2007

Thick As Sea-Poop

Thick as sea-poop
It's nice and quiet this morning. Good time for catch-up.

Just came off a rather persistent depression, black mood, what-have-you. Started around the first of the year and ended Wednesday. During that time I found everything uninteresting, not being motivated (more than usual) to accomplish anything and finding things I enjoy too much trouble. I didn't take my blood pressure meds and was just feeling generally lousy. My doctor was getting ready to prescribe pills for depression.

Then the thing that changed all that happened.

I had a colonoscopy.

It wasn't the most enjoyable experience, but seeing as I'm hitting 50 next month it's all part and parcel of the "make sure you don't have anything terminal" check-up that's supposed to happen about now. Believe it or not, the worst part was doing a clear liquid fast the day before while chugging a couple of bottles of chromium citrate to get me cleaned out reeeeal good. Now every time I see that particular shade of green I'll be reminded of my bathroom.

Anyway, the procedure was routine and I had some pretty good anesthetics (that stuff that makes you forget with a Demerol chaser). Now here's the good part: the next day, after all that stuff had worn off, I woke up feeling great. Alert and rested with a desire to Do Stuff. I haven't felt that way (or had that good a night's sleep) for a long time. I'm looking forward to doing things again, got back on the BP meds and I'm starting back on the diet/exercise thing Monday. I've returned to the living. Man, I love being 50!

I now plan on doing the fast/purge thing on a regular basis, probably once a month. I wanna stay this way.

So remember: sometimes life shoving a finger up your ass is a great motivator.

No comments: