Friday, February 09, 2007

2006: A Beer And Review

Last time we saw me, I was recuperating from my California Trip, done with Getting My Kicks with wife and grandson in tow and letting the holidays wash over me like the wave at the beach that managed to knock down Gage while he wasn't looking (we still hear about it from him, bless his heart). Here, from the vantage-point of mid February, I can finally think clear enough on the last few months and look at what happened in my part of Okie City circa 2006.

Well, Christmas was simultaneously interesting and miserable. We spent it in Arkansas with the rest of Becky's family, at my brother-in-law Doug's new place. Beautiful home. The interesting part was Doug's new digs: a multi-room house on a sloping hill in the middle of Wal-Mart City. It was gratifying to see Gage playing with other kids and, since we brought my other grandson Gavin, everyone enjoyed taking care of the 9-month-old ball o' love.

The miserable part was that on Christmas Day I got one mother of a cold, one that lasted a good two-and-a-half weeks, temporarily robbed me of my voice and seriously jeopardized my ability to attend auditions for the Jewel Box Theatre's production of The Odd Couple (fear not, I went and was cast as Murray). I was running a high fever all afternoon and took to my bed once the road trip was over.

Well, that was then and this is now and Now I'm reflecting over the year with a faint smile upon my puss. The highlights of 2006 for me were (in no particular order), Gavin, my second grandson being born in March, my trip to the GAMA Trade Show in Vegas (and actually coming back $200.00 ahead), discovering LibriVox on the net, thus giving me another performing outlet and our trip to Long Beach with Gage. The low points: having to move almost immediately after I get back from Vegas, failing at my Weight Loss Vow (you heard it here first, folks), having to miss Con On The Cob in Kent,Ohio (something I'll make up for in 2007) and a minor bummer of buying the new Star Wars Original Trilogy release Best Buy boxed tin and trying to lie my way out of it to Becky (note to self: don' do dat again).

Another major event last year was my relinquishing (mid-December) of my duties at Renda Broadcasting. I told my supervisor that, after a certain date, she can use me as a fill-in, but don't feel obligated to schedule me hours. Last time I dropped in, I noticed they gave my mailbox to someone else. I guess that's it then.

I don't know how to classify that last one: it hurts a bit being out of radio, but the hours were getting impossible, seeing I was getting as little as 6 hours a week. I knew that would pick up when football and basketball started up, but Becky didn't like the fact I had weird hours that interfered with time off she wanted us to take. So it was with reluctance that I said farewell to radio. Good thing I got a stage show to do soon.

As last year, the DVDs I managed to pick up in 2006 (in no particular order - this is the part in the entry where I stare at my DVD collection and try to figure it out): the aforementioned Star Wars set, Hollywood's Legends of Horror box set, the two Boris Karloff sets (The Boris Karloff Collection and Boris Karloff: Icons of Horror Collection), Preston Sturges: The Filmmaker Collection, Red Green Stuffed And Mounted Six-Pack, Scrooge (finally), March of The Wooden Soldiers/Babes in Toyland, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (replacement copy), A Prarie Home Companion, The Triplets of Belleville, Police Squad! The Complete Series, The Maltese Falcon 3-disc Edition, Cars, Monty Python And The Holy Grail (double-dip to get the soundtrack CD), Back to The Future: The Complete Trilogy, Chronicles of Narnia, The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection, 14 Hours, Shock, Jim Henson's The Storyteller: The Definitive Collection, The Big Sleep, Corpse Bride, M: Criterion, Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow, Disney's Treasure Island, The Killers: Criterion, The Mummy Collector's Set, The Ed Wood Box, Unbreakable, The House On Telegraph Hill, Bluebeard, Pleasantville, The Return of The Pink Panther, The Pink Panther Collection, House of Strangers, The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, I Wake Up Screaming, Fallen Angel, The Third Man: Criterion, Polanski's Oliver Twist, The Aristocrats, The Buster Keaton Collection, Crumb, The Complete Mr. Arkadin: Criterion, Secondhand Lions, The Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection, Big Fish, Batman: Mask of The Phantasm, Where The Sidewalk Ends and Wallace & Gromit: Curse of The Were-Rabbit.

There y'are. Nary a clinker among 'em. Looking back, it seems that I did a lot of filling-in of the gaps, along with a headlong dive into the Film Noir genre. Well, Noir is a lot of fun and filling in collection gaps is a good sign that your collection is becoming lean and mean: no fat, no filler.

Looking ahead, 2007 has already started out on a good note, as I start rehearsals next month for a mid-April run of the show (this means no Vegas trip this year, hence the reason why I'm going to Con On The Cob in November). In the ensuing months my current projects are to do the show, get some employment and keep writing this-here blog. Hope you stick around. Interesting times ahead.

No comments: