Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Surf & Turf

Oranges optional
Well, it's pouring outside and my nose is doing the same in here. I dunno, I hit it with Afrin and Claritin and it still pretends like it's Hoover Dam bursting. Think I'll give Ol' Doc Sudafed a shot.

It's been three days since returning from out Long Beach road trip, Becky, Gage and myself. I now feel I have enough distance from it to look back with a clear mind. I thus come to the same
conclusion I did last time we did this:

Next time, we fly.
Lemme 'splain. It's nothing to do with the fact that it was a fun trip, even with the grandson along. Nor it has nothing to do with the fact that the scenery and places we stopped at weren't fun. It's just grueling, that's all. And this is aside from the fact that Gage behaved a lot better then I thought he would. But 2-3 days in a small car with nothing but the radio to keep you company wears me out, plain and simple. I'm gettin' too old for this.
That said, we had a pretty good trip. We got to see my Mom and my brother Mike, went to the Aquarium of The Pacific in Long Beach (IMO, probably the best aquarium I've ever been to - yes, that includes Monterey's) and, best of all, I got to give Gage his first ever experience at Disneyland. he didn't quite get it at first, but after Star Tours he got into it. I've never seen a happier little boy. His favorites were Star Tours and the Jungle Cruise, but he loved every minute of it (even the lines - plus he got a lightsaber out of it). I was one proud grandpa.

He also had his first experience with the ocean. We took him to Laguna Beach and let him frolic in the surf (a mighty cold surf, I might add). He went in up to his ankles but Grandpa went out deeper and entertained him by getting knocked down by waves (something that even happened to him).

My Mom loved him and he bonded well with Mike (they were buds by the time it was over). Even Becky had a good time at the ocean and
Disneyland (which was kinda crowded - typical). After a nice Thanksgiving dinner, we headed home the next day.
Looking back from Pudunk-Land, I find myself cracking a smile when I think of the trip. Yeah, I hope we fly next time but, truthfully, I'd do it again the same way. Why? Check out that last picture. 'Nuff said.

No comments: