Monday, May 15, 2006

Loritab Monday

NOT on Auto-Pilot
Got just a few things on my mind so it's a grab-bag today.

To quote Dr. Smith, oh the pain. Yesterday at work, while trying to do two things at once (board-op a Sooner baseball game while trying to burn a couple of talk shows onto CD) I trip over a chair and manage to twist my right foot. I've done this before but it doesn't make it hurt any less. So it's a couple of days hobbling around and taking painkillers while trying to stay off it. A challenge when yer home alone.

Saturday I was also running board on Sooner baseball and women's softball games and I run across one of those "you can't make this stuff up"-type of names. Now the Lady Sooners were playing Kansas and the Kansas shortstop's name is (I kid you not) Destiny Frankenstein. Surely that's a stage name. Not that I don't believe that there isn't folks with the last name Frankenstein in this world, but I'm having a hard time believing that this poor girl's parents would make it even harder for her to get through childhood by christening her "Destiny."

Besides, I couldn't shake the image of a female Boris Karloff in a girl's softball uniform shouting "HEY BATTERBATTERBATTER!"

Also, I'm no sports fan but the girls lost to Kansas, not to mention the Sooner Men getting a royal ass-kicking by OSU in all three of the Bedlam games (two of which were played at the Brick - almost in OU's backyard). Boy that was ugly.

My mind is also turning back to my novel. Trevis, a good net friend, read it and loves it but thinks it's kinda short (as a Word document it comes up to about 104 pages). He suggested that I add about 50-150 more pages to it. I'm kind of hesitant, not because I think it's perfect, but I'm afraid of messing up the pace with a lot of padding. So if anyone wants to look at it and give me their opinion, email me at smokestackjones@gmail.com.

With luck, next entry will be my treatise on Mr. Arkadin. Gotta do something while waiting for my foot to stop swelling...

1 comment:

SteveTP said...

Hey Mr. J - i'd be more than interested in a little reading.