Thursday, February 23, 2006

DeNutted or Nothing From Nothing Leaves...

Let's just say au revoir...
I've had an okay week; got a C-T scan of my head, my sinus doctor tells me I have polyps in my nose and he needs to go in there to clean 'em out (I scheduled it for mid-April), he's got me on allergy shots and got in an extra day of work this week covering for my bud Randy at the station. Oh, and Becky got her bonus, so it's time to book that Vegas flight. The bummer of the week: my main message board, Nothingland, is shutting down on the 28th.

I know that it's not earth-shattering, but before you stick your nose (or whatever appendage you use) in the air and tell me to Get A Life, lemme 'splain. As much as I like DVD Verdict, it was #2 on my list. Nothingland (formerly known as Nutkinland) has been my 'net "homebase" for going on 5 years. It's the first site I checked (after email) and the last one at night. I made many friends, got in interesting discussions and laughed along with a great community. So this is something of a tribute to that place that kept me informed, entertained and amused for quite a while.

It started as an offshoot of the EN World board by a guy named Christopher, also known as Squirrel Nutkin. He and others wanted a board where they could talk RPG's and other things without such a heavy-handed admin presence. Thus, Nutkinland was born. I came to it through an offhand comment on another gaming board. A lot of folks warned me not to go: "oh don't go to Nutkinland! They're nasty to people over there!" But curiosity got the better of me. What I found is a community who were adults engaging in interesting conversations about all sorts of things and did not Suffer Fools Gladly (Yours Truly excepted - actually, a small group excepted; seems if you were good at making folks laugh, it went a long way in making it there). Nutkinland/Nothingland went a long way towards thickening my Internet skin.

And it was pretty much self-policing; the admins knew it, and only stepped in when they absolutely had to. Remarkable place. Then this happened.

A few days ago, it was offline, with a message saying that don't worry, no one's banned, we'll be back soon. They did come back up a day or two later with bad news: seems that some idiot got hold of some of the Chief Admin's private information. He didn't go into detail, but there were threats of loss of the board (and his employment) so he decided to pull the plug.

We all commiserated and got angry. A lot of the members went out and started other boards. Some will just fade away into the ether. I put a nicely-worded goodbye post, said I'll be lurking around just to see how it comes down and left. To show you the kind of community we had, there are now no less than five boards started in the last two days for folks to go to.

So this is my salut to Squirrel Nutkin And Margo Shreck (the founders), Thomas Heretic (the current, and last, Chief Admin), all other admins and the great community I was proud to be a part of. Hope to see you all again elsewhere.

And to the little jerk who was responsible for the downfall of this site: you better not let anyone know you were responsible. That's a warning, not a threat. I'm not going to do anything because I don't like to stand in line...

6 comments:

Smokestack Jones said...

Hey nigauble,

Well said sir.

-SJ

Nigauble said...

Thankfully, NothingLand is a community, not a destination. It will splinter, and congeal into different for(u)ms to be sure, but it will carry on. Rock on.

Kyle Voltti said...

I'd let you cut in front of me :)

Megamieuwsel said...

I can understand , you don't want to stand in line , but...
What a hell of a line it'll be if the whole of NTL joined in.

jgodsey said...

polyps? man that sucks.
i guess i am jus lucky that mine is just full of gunk.

Mitch said...

My dad had the polyp procedure last week. First thing he did when he got home was light up a cigarette.

Hope it goes okay for you, SJ.