Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Long And The Flux Of It

Video Fly-Trap
Well I'm working my way through Æon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection and I'm liking what I see. I remember seeing the original pilot on MTV's Liquid Television but I missed the second season episodes. So was surprised that they actually made a series out of it (albeit a short one). The work of Peter Chung always interested me (especially when I found out he did some art for some RPG books; if you can find a used copy of Mayfair Games' defunct game Underground you'll find his work all over it). So I was happy to see the entire Flux output on DVD.

Not that I haven't had problems with the concept. I'm a pretty tolerant guy and if an artist has a "concept" or "vision", I'll usually at least hear him out. I'll even go along with some things I don't readily understand or the things the creator does that is supposed to provoke me to "think" or "come up with my own conclusion" (an attitude that has come in handy in the past - The Prisoner, anyone?).

So Chung has a certain points he wanted to make like:

  • The futility of violence
  • How there are different perspectives on a situation
etc., etc. Anyway, I can hang with most of that. I can also handle the running themes he has in the show such as Æon and Trevor being polar-opposite lovers, Æon having her own agenda, Æon always dies at the end (except for the series, where she dies at the end of the ten eps), but the one thing that really bugs me about it is that (and I'm mostly talking about the pilot and shorts here), when she dies she always fails he mission. See, to me that questions her whole competence as a spy or an agent provocateur. I mean, yeah, it's okay if she wins some, she loses some, but how good can she be if, at the end, there's no point to it? Yes. I know, this is probably a point Chung is making, but it gets frustrating watching the shorts and knowing that everything she does is all for naught.

Funny, I can handle Number Six being defeated and still ending up in The Village but I have an issue with this. Go figure...

Now having said all that, go check it out. Not for the young 'uns, but enough great art and fascinating animated weirdness for five David Lynch films.

10 comments:

jgodsey said...

I keep meaning to get around to that..but i think i will wait for the movie to fail and everyone to rave about how good the animated was.

Anonymous said...

This is Gevin (from DVD-V):

The forced MTV trailers are my only complaint.

Dan Mancini said...

This one has me curious (I think I've only seen the Liquid Television shorts), but I'm willing to wait 6-12 months for a significant price drop. ;)

SteveTP said...

Retarded - that's the only way i can describe it. Not quite Mulholland Drive - but man - what the hell is going on?

I recall back in the day a lot of people thought that the gimmick was that Aeon was constantly being ressurected from the dead.

Anonymous said...

Gevin, again.

Res? I assumed there was an army of Aeon Flux clones that were inactive in a warehouse somewhere (only it wasn't a warehouse, it was a actually a fancy futuristic place). Whenever an Aeon would die, they would just spit another one out. Or perhaps there were multiple Aeons out and about at any given time, but they were just put on jobs in very seperate locations, so as not to bump into one another.

Smokestack Jones said...

Hey Gev,

Sounds logical to me (especially since I enjoy the RPG Paranoia). I assumed that either she was resurrected every time (sort of the Eternal Spy) or the series was like a video game, where every time she "died" she just used up one "life."

-SJ

Anonymous said...

Gevin
"where every time she "died" she just used up one "life.""

bwaha, that's great!

Smokestack Jones said...

Hey Gev,

I just stumbled upon an explanation that suits me (which was close to what I said already). In the third episode (A Last Time For Everything) it's established that cloning exists in that world. Since Trevor does it to Æon, I'm assuming it's available elsewhere. Good enough for me.

I like just enough logic (more like a rationale) that I can at least leap to a reasonable conclusion on my own.

-SJ

Anonymous said...

Gevin
On the 3rd disk, watch the pilot. Aeon falls, the the guy pushes the button, if you look at the buttons around Aeon's button, it looks like there are a lot of extra Aeon clones.
(this is my biggest source for when I consider "what's up with Aeon & her dieing & coming back")

Smokestack Jones said...

Hey Gev,

Sorry, didn't know you were waiting on it. Yeah, I remember seeing the pilot the first time it was aired. A re-watched it and it looks like she was one of many Monican agents. I'm thinking that Chung changed that for the video release because I seem to remember seeing clones of her on the screen in the original broadcast (I know Chung fiddled with the eps for DVD).

-SJ